Welcome To The Deep Dive !
In this section you will find three videos explaining what the horizontal tasting is, how to go about using your tasting sheets and how to do a Speciality Coffee Association tasting at home!
Quick notes at the end too
A horizontal tasting involves tasting different coffees from the same farm in the same year
Look for contrast when tasting these coffees side by side - how do they differ from each other?
Smell the coffee grounds and take notes of first impressions
Remember a coffee's flavour is evolving from when its hot, to warm to cool
The coffee will also evolve in your mouth from initial taste to after taste
Look for texture, acidity and sweetness and take notes
Big general impressions are good and there is no wrong answer
SCA cupping protocol:
1. You'll need 6 cups
- 3 cups (explained below) plus the cups you plan to make coffee in
- one cup to keep some water to wash spoons
-second cup to put the foam you'll clean off the coffee
- third cup to spit into
- four, five, six to actually make the three coffees
2. The amount of water to coffee is 1:18
- the easiest way to do this is weigh in grams the amount of water that fits into a cup divide by 19. That's how many grams of coffee to use
- medium fine grind
- 2.5 table spoons is 10g
3. Set your timer then add water of 94 degrees or just off boiling to the cups until full.
4. Time 4 mins for brew (observe aromas)
5. At 4 mins break up the foam on top and clean it off
6. Get slurping!
For more sign up to the mail list below!